September 25, 2022

The Met Police have referred themselves to the watchdog following the incident 

Ricardo Dos Santos has shared shocking dashcam footage after he was pulled over by the police for a second time.

The Portuguese sprinter was stopped in west London in the early hours of Sunday, when the Metropolitan Police said officers thought he was using his phone while driving.

The athlete posted dashcam clips of the incident on Twitter, expressing annoyance and accusing the force of over-policing due to the presence of seven armed officers.

In a statement on Monday, the Metropolitan Police said: “We have now recorded this matter as a public complaint.

“We have also referred it on a voluntary basis to the Independent Office for Police Conduct, recognising the public interest.

“We await their views on how they may wish to take this forward.”

Mr Dos Santos and his partner, Bianca Williams, a Team GB athlete, were previously stopped while driving with their baby in Maida Vale, west London, two years ago.

An acting police sergeant and four police constables are all facing gross misconduct disciplinary hearings over the incident, that saw the couple handcuffed and details of their baby stored on a police database.

See also  Johnny Depp’s lawyers say he might let Amber Heard off paying $8m damages

Ms Williams accused the force of racially profiling them.

Related links: