August 15, 2022

Northampton missed out on automatic promotion as a result

Northampton Town are planning to lodge a formal complaint with the English Football League as they believe that the team Scunthorpe United fielded against Bristol Rovers lacked sporting integrity.

Scunthorpe fielded several youngsters in their side

The Cobblers missed out on automatic promotion to League One on the final day of the season, despite winning 3-1 against Barrow, after Bristol Rovers beat Scunthorpe 7-0 and were promoted on goals scored.

As per The Guardian, Northampton have now raised concerns with the EFL and the Football Association after Scunthorpe named named seven teenagers in their starting lineup and four players from their Under-18s side, including 17-year-old first-year scholar goalkeeper Owen Foster.

Scunthorpe have endured a torrid time this season and were relegated from the Football League last month after just four wins all season and had made three changes to their side following their defeat to Hartlepool United last week.

EFL guidance states that as of the fourth Thursday in March, teams are required to include at least 10 outfield players in their team sheet who featured in the previous game – something that Scunthorpe adhered to.

Bristol Rovers are also set to be investigated

Bristol Rovers meanwhile will be investigated for their 85th minute pitch invasion following their seventh goal at the Memorial Ground.

Scunthorpe manager Keith Hill also declined to speak about the pitch invasion and refused to say if his goalkeeper had been attacked by a supporter on the pitch and confirmed that the referee would be speaking to the FA.

See also  Noel Gallagher branded 'vile' by disability charity after Glastonbury comments

“I don’t really want to talk about it,” he said.

“The referee’s done a report and I want to leave it with them. I don’t want to spoil what is a tremendous day for Bristol Rovers and Joey. About the health and safety of me and my staff in my technical area during the course of the game, and with respect to what did happen, the referee is going to file a report to the FA.”

Related links: