August 14, 2022

Frankfurt won the first leg 2-1

Two German broadcasters were allegedly ‘attacked’ by West Ham United supporters during the Hammers’ Europa League clash against Eintracht Frankfurt.

David Moyes’ side welcomed the German outfit to the London Stadium for the Europa League semi-final first leg on Thursday night, with the Bundesliga club securing a 2-1 victory over the Irons.

However, during the match, two ARD Radio broadcasters were allegedly attacked by home supporters behind the goal after Michail Antonio equalised for Moyes’ men.

Fellow football commentator Derek Rae wrote on Twitter: “The ARD Radio broadcasters have reported that they in their words ‘were attacked’ by English fans behind them as the West Ham goal went in for 1:1. You could hear it on air. It disrupted the broadcast briefly. ‘I’ve never experienced anything like it.’

“Talk on air from both commentators about being in shock & they feel perhaps the fans who attacked them didn’t like their loud goal shout for the Knauff 1:0. They say no security there to protect them.

“Tweeting this in solidarity with my ARD colleagues. Could happen to any commentator and when you are concentrating fiercely and someone blindsides you in that fashion, while you’re at work, unacceptable.

“So Hut ab (hat off) to Philipp Hofmeister & Tim Brockmeier for their utter professionalism during what must have been a living nightmare. Both work for Hessischer Rundfunk, the public station serving Hessen.

“Philipp & Tim have explained they have been given new commentary seats in the middle of the media tribune now thanks to @WestHam media department. They hope to get on with their jobs but concede very hard to concentrate after what happened. cc: @thehopemaster, total pros.”

Ansgar Knauff, who is on loan from Borussia Dortmund, opened the scoring for Oliver Glasner’s side in the first minute, before Antonio levelled proceedings.

See also  Harry Maguire booed by Man United fans during pre-season friendly

Daichi Kamada restored the away side’s lead in the second-half, finishing from close range in the 54th minute.