September 25, 2022

United have got their man

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that Casemiro will leave Real Madrid to join Manchester United this summer.

It was announced on Thursday that United had agreed a deal in the region of £60m for the midfielder and Ancelotti has revealed that the Brazilian has already said goodbye to his teammates ahead of his move to Old Trafford.

“I talked to (Casemiro) this morning,” Ancelotti said. “He wants to try a new challenge, a new opportunity. I and the club understand it.

“With what he’s done at this club and the person he is, we have to respect it. There are talks right now, nothing is official, but he wants to leave.

“We wish him all the best in his next challenge.”

A medical is set to take place this weekend, with the 30-year-old set to sign a four-year deal at the club. There is also hope the move will be completed in time to allow the Brazilian to feature in the game against Liverpool on Monday night.

The deal represents a huge coup for Erik ten Hag’s side, who have been crying out for a defensive-minded midfielder. Ten Hag’s initial plan had been to sign Frenkie de Jong from Barcelona, but after negotiations continued to stall, their attention turned to Casemiro.

As one of Madrid’s key players over the last decade Casemiro has been fundamental in several of Los Blancos’ many trophies won. In the nine seasons he spent at Madrid, Casemiro won 18 different trophies – the most recent of those being the UEFA Super Cup.

See also  Eddie Jones on how public schools influence English rugby

Casemiro is also likely to become one of the highest-paid players at the club too and will be United’s fourth signing of the summer alongside Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez.

The Red Devils are also still in the market for a backup goalkeeper, a winger and a striker before the window shuts.

Related links: