August 19, 2022

“I will not let one scumbag ruin my respect for the Forest fans.”

Sheffield United forward Billy Sharp has spoken for the first time since he was attacked by a Nottingham Forest fan during a pitch invasion on Tuesday night.

Forest fans celebrated at the City Ground as they reached the play-off final and a first trip to Wembley Stadium in 30 years after a 3-2 penalty shoot-out win against the Blades, in which goalkeeper Brice Samba saved two spot kicks.

A fan assaulted Sharp on the pitch after Forest’s shoot-out win

The victory sparked wild scenes in the East Midlands as fans ran on the pitch to celebrate, however it was marred by one supporter who was spotted attacking Sharp, leaving the ex-Forest striker requiring stitches as a result.

Nottinghamshire Police have since confirmed that a 31-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of assault and is currently in custody, waiting to be questioned.

Forest themselves have also released a statement in which they said that the fan would be banned from the club for life.

Sharp issued a classy response to the incident

Sharp, who had a spell on-loan at Forest during the 2012-13 season, broke his silence on Wednesday morning, issuing a classy statement and said that the actions of one supporter would not change his view on his former club.

See also  Adidas and Gucci team up together to create obscenely priced loafers

In a message on Twitter he said: “Congratulations to Nottingham Forest on their victory and good luck in the final. As an ex Forest player I will not let one scumbag ruin my respect for the Forest fans.

“Incredibly proud to be captain of this group of Sheffield United players, they gave their all and can hold their heads up high. We will be back and go again. Thanks for all your messages and support after the incident.”

Forest will face Huddersfield Town in the play-off final for a place in the Premier League at Wembley on Sunday May 29.

Related links: